Followers ♥

10.23.2010


thursday, october 21st

1. "great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together." ~vincent van gogh


today i set my very first thing down in my new apartment. yes, i believe this toilet wand will go here.


2. they should call it pier AWESOME


although our trip to target was very successful, my mom and i still had more apartment shopping to do. we luckily found a pier 1 right around the corner and as soon as i walked in i knew we were going to need a cart. yes, this was my first trip to pier 1. sadly, they don't allow carts because people tend to knock things over (i'd like to meet the clumsy dumbass who knocked over a six hundred dollar apothecary table and shake his hand), so instead we brought our purchases up to the counter and made a pile. they had all kinds of great bowls, mugs, and funky furnishings. i knelt down to pet a poodle and then realized it was a throw pillow. i also got a GREAT to-go mug which i've been needing. nope, it's not the one pictured above. i guess you'll just have to come back another day to see which one i picked out :) in the meantime, i will give you a sneak peak at one of my new mugs ONLY because i happen to have socks...well...why don't you just check it out for yourself:



3. wait, if you're here...


so, my mom and i walk into the bed bath and beyond in encino and immediately look at each other with raised eyebrows. it is, by far, the BIGGEST bed bath and beyond either of us have ever seen. not only is it very spread out, but there are two stories. we push our shopping cart around for about ten minutes and then realize that everything we're looking for is on the second floor. as we began to search for an escalator, my mom suddenly called out behind me, "how are we going to get the cart up to the second floor?!" i remembered something very strange i had seen in a Kmart a few weeks ago and i realized that i knew EXACTLY what we had to do. take a look at the picture above. you must be asking yourself "wait, if you're there...then where is..."


yes. in los angeles, shopping carts ride upstairs by themselves.


highlight of the day:


after lots (and lots) of searching for perfect accesories to dress up my bathroom, we finally found the yellowbrick road. and it led us to this bathmat. not only did we find the CUTEST rug, but we found a shower curtain and hand towels to match! well, the hand towels aren't the same pattern, but the colors are bright and will make my bathroom look so much more cheerful! and if there's one place you should be happy, it's in the bathroom.

as my dad would say...am i right? ...or am i left? 





friday, october 22nd


1. always expect the unexpected


i've never really understood that quote about expecting the unexpected. how are you supposed to know what to expect if you're expecting the unexpected?! wait, now i'm confused. anyway, let's talk about feta.

i got a few wonderful unexpected surprises today, one of them being the cheese bar pictured above at whole foods. i've seen the olive bar, and the taco bar, and the hot bar, the soup bar, the sushi bar, the gelato bar (someone stop me)...but i have NEVER seen the cheese bar. see all of the white in the above picture? that's ALL feta! my dream come true. unexpected surprise #1 came after i dropped my mom off at the airport this morning. i had planned on swinging by the awesome whole foods in el segundo (by LAX) on my way back, but i did NOT plan on finding a home goods right next door where i found all kinds of amazing things for my new apartment! i spent two hours in there filling up my cart with all kinds of inexpensive goodies. i found everything from a cute little accent table to mixing bowls to a scrapbook. surprise #2 was the cheese bar, surprise #3 actually did NOT come with the ridiculous make-your-own half sandwich i created at the sandwich station:


(roasted turkey, fresh mozzerella, lettuce, tomato, pesto aioli, and olive tapenade) BUT it came with the side of pickles that i ordered.


i generally am not a fan of bread and butter pickles. there's just something about the sweet flavor that i've never been crazy about. HOWEVER, when i popped a pickle chip into my mouth on the way home (yes, i took my sandwich to-go because it was a long drive back to hollywood) i was stunned at how much i loved the flavor. i wasn't expecting a sweet pickle so you can imagine my surprise, but before i knew it, my little cup was empty! don't tell dill pickles.



and surprise #4 came in the form of a picture message that made me laugh outloud.


someone had a rough night.

for another surprise from today, check out the spotted section of the blog.


2. clean house


although my toilet wand looked spectacular as the centerpiece of my new living room, i decided that it was time to start tidying up and organizing the rest of my findings from the last few days. i'm still missing some essential pieces: a bed, a couch, lamps, a TV stand...okay i'm missing MOST of my essential things, but as for the smaller components, my mom and i did pretty well. although i'm not planning on hanging anything on the walls or doing any actual decorating until the place is painted, i still wanted to do some cleaning (big surprise). when my mom and i were measuring things in the new apartment the other night, i glanced at the bottom of my bare feet and it looked like i had been walking through a cave. clearly, the floors were a little dusty. tonight, i swept, i swiffered, i wiped, and i welcomed.


i probably shouldn't have had that second cup of coffee.
(homemade iced vanilla cinnamon coffee thank you very much!)


the blaring country music also kept me going.


and four minutes later i called in some help from an old friend.




3. A.I.S.

for as long as i can remember--well, from the first time we saw that certain episode of everybody loves raymond--my dad has always had a special expression, or nickname, for getting everyone in the car on time. my dad is the kind of person who likes to show up early. and by early, i mean two hours ahead of time. he gets it from my grandparents, who showed up to my sister's high school graduation when they were setting up the chairs a week prior to the ceremony. in my parents' house, whenever we're leaving for the airport, for dinner, or for any sort of scheduled occasion, my dad refers to the time we will leave as A.I.S. if we have dinner reservations at 7 PM, A.I.S. will be 6:45. that means ASS-IN-SEAT at 6:45 or you're getting left behind. well dad, i hate to tell you this...but you were wrong.



highlight of the day:

today, i finally started to feel a little better. today, the sun finally came out for the first time in two weeks. today, i unexpectedly discovered that i like sweet pickles. today, i brought home three amazing things to hang on the walls of my new apartment. today, i found six different kinds of feta.


today, i accidentally wore my shirt inside out the entire day.
always expect the unexpected.

No comments: